(Updates share price)
SAN FRANCISCO ( TheStreet) -- Oracle (ORCL) CEO Larry Ellison took a swing at tech bellwether IBM (IBM) to kick off the database giant's annual user conference late Sunday and urged customers have faith in his acquisition of Sun Microsystems (JAVA).
The fiery Oracle chief came out all guns blazing during the opening keynote at the Moscone Center late Sunday, targeting his firm's biggest database rival. Ellison blasted IBM for allegedly claiming that Oracle would get rid of Sun's hardware business.
Sun uses its SPARC processor technology within its hardware, whereas IBM sells systems based on its own chips, called Power, and the two companies are set to go head to head."We are not selling off our hardware business -- SPARC is fantastic technology and it can be even better with investment by increasing the rate of innovation," said Ellison, according to the TG Daily Web site. "If IBM wants to compete, we are happy to compete -- we intend to demonstrate that SPARC is the best
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV