BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Goldman Sachs (GS) and JPMorgan Chase (JPM) have flourished this year as the Wall Street survivors snagged market share from defunct outfits like Lehman Brothers. The companies that build trading and analytics programs have enjoyed comparable success, but are receiving less attention from investors.
FactSet Research Systems (FDS) designs applications for investment professionals. Its risk-management tools add value during market turmoil. So when financial markets swoon, FactSet's stock benefits. The company has achieved a three-year growth rate of 17% for revenue and 20% for profit.
The company's fiscal fourth-quarter net income rose 8% to $36 million, or 74 cents a share. Revenue inched up 1% to $156 million. Its gross margin remained steady at 72% and its operating margin grew from 33% to 35%. The company holds $216 million of cash and no debt.
FactSet has tailor-made applications for wealth managers, institutional asset managers, hedge funds and research professionals. Its platforms give clients access to proprietary data. It collects a swath of information from third-parties, and then compiles and organizes it for clients.Money management and trading decisions are made in real-time. The only edge in the markets is through superior research and technological innovation. Professional investors are in a perpetual arms race to gain an edge in financial markets. This trend has helped FactSet consistently grow profits since its inception in 1978. Its stock has doubled over the past five years and is up 265% over a 10-year period, far outperforming major U.S. indices. Shares have rallied 37% this year, more than the Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500 Index.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV