Stocks post their best week since July
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ The stock market is keeping its momentum going, giving shares their best week in more than two months.
Moderate gains on Friday led by health care and utility companies pushed stocks to a 4 percent gain for the week, their best performance since July. The Dow Jones industrial average gained 78 points to 9,864.94, reaching its highest level in a year.
Bond prices tumbled, extending the previous day's losses, as the Treasury market struggled to absorb $71 billion of new supply auctioned off this week in the government's ongoing efforts to fund its stimulus programs.The market's performance was a fitting way to commemorate the second anniversary of the record highs set by the Dow and the Standard & Poor's 500 index, which closed at 14,164.53 and 1,565.15 respectively. It was after reaching those milestones that the market began what turned into a cataclysmic slide that ended March 9. ___
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV