Don Dion's Weekly ETF Blog Wrap
The ESR is not the first ETF to expose investors to Eastern European markets. SPDR S&P Emerging Europe ETF (GUR) has been trading since March 2007 and tracks a basket of companies from the same four nations plus Turkey and a menial showing from the U.S. Once again, a huge percentage of the GUR is allocated to the same top energy companies in the area.
Although the two funds have similar holdings and sector allocations, The GUR's low expense ratio will likely stifle some of the added competition from the ESR's entrance. While the ESR charges investors over 0.70%, the GUR only carries a 0.59% fee. Furthermore, with 63% of the GUR's assets in Russia vs. 75% of the ESR's assets, the GUR offers more diversification.
Year-to-date for the period ending Oct. 5, The GUR has performed well. The fund is up nearly 61%.
In the end, however, these funds are more like a Russia ETF, such as Market Vectors Russia (RSX), which has a 0.62% fee that makes it competitive with these funds, with some added diversification into Eastern Europe. Investors who want pure plays on Poland and other Eastern European countries will have to wait.
Brazil ETFs RecapPosted 10/7/2009 On July 13, I named Market Vectors Brazil Small Cap ETF (BRF) as the best of the Brazil ETFs. I followed up twice this week, as news of the Olympics and the big Santander IPO have drawn the world's attention to Brazil. BRF is the best way to play these events because its holdings are positioned to benefit. Longer term, BRF is the ETF for a rising Brazil, whereas iShares Brazil's (EWZ) commodity and energy heavy holdings will do well in a commodity boom, even if the broader Brazilian economy underperforms.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV