Don Dion's Weekly ETF Blog Wrap
Since the VIX is not an actual index, it can't be bought. Investors can achieve greater returns with greater risk via options or futures, however, because they can hold them until expiration.
The takeaway is that these ETNs may not be the best bet for individual investors. Those who understand how the VIX works and want to make a bet on market volatility can achieve better returns in the futures and options markets. Furthermore, any number of leveraged inverse ETFs are likely to outperform the VIX ETNs, since spikes in VIX are typically accompanied by selloffs in stocks.
There may be some investors who can make use of the VIX futures ETNs as part of complex portfolio strategies, but investors who are looking to make a one-way bet on a market selloff should try other products.
I previously named the VXX and VXZ pair as one of the 10 most dangerous ETFs.
Comparing Emerging Eastern Europe ETFsPosted 10/5/2009 12:20 p.m. EDT On Friday, iShares launched the newest member of its international ETF fund family. The iShares MSCI Emerging Markets Eastern Europe Index Fund (ESR) is designed to track the MSCI Emerging Markets Eastern Europe Index. Companies represented on this index hail from four nations: Russia, Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic. Investors looking for access to emerging Eastern Europe through this fund should be aware that the ESR is heavily weighed in energy companies. Gazprom and Lukoil are the fund's top two holdings and make up over 35.5% of the fund's total assets. Other top holdings include Sberbank, Cez and Norilsk Nickel.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV