Nortel's Ex-CEO Seeks $12M in Suit
According to court documents, Zafirovski is claiming $2.4 million in base salary and a performance-related bonus of $3.6 million. The one-time Motorola (MOT) executive also is claiming pension benefits of "not less than" $6 million from the failed tech giant.
The Nortel chief stepped down in August, having reached what was described as a "logical departure point" by the company's board. Unable to turn Nortel around, Zafirovski's departure followed a turbulent spell that saw the company enter Chapter 11 and begin carving off its assets. The Canadian firm announced plans to liquidate during the summer, spelling the beginning of the end for the 127-year-old company.
The former Motorola COO was parachuted in to save beleaguered Nortel in 2005 but instead presided over its death throes. The company's carve-up continued this week, with Ciena (CIEN) agreeing to pay $521 million in cash and stock for Nortel's optical and Ethernet divisions.Zafirovski's lawsuit comes at a time when many Nortel retirees are urging Canadian lawmakers to protect their company pensions, and has already provoked outrage in the blogosphere. "As Nortel continues to disappear, the stream of head-shaking news continues to emerge," wrote Mike Evans on the All About Nortel Web site. The lawsuit, which was filed in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware, says that Zafirovski's employment terms were laid out in a 2005 contract. The former CEO, however, is not the only Nortel luminary seeking money from the troubled firm.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV