Ahead Of The Bell: Direct Sellers Upgraded
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Rising unemployment and access to consumers in growing overseas markets are benefiting direct sellers of products including personal care items, nutritional supplements and housewares, an analyst said Friday.
Higher joblessness means more salesperson candidates for direct sellers, as direct sales jobs frequently attract the unemployed or people searching for a part-time second job, Jefferies analyst Douglas Lane wrote in a note to clients.
He upgraded Nu Skin Enterprises Inc. and Health Sciences Inc. to "Buy" from "Hold" in a note to investors Friday. He also raised price targets and estimates for the two companies, as well as Tupperware Brands Corp., Herbalife Ltd. and Avon Products Inc., all three of which he rates "Buy."
In the second quarter, the companies beat earnings-per-share estimates by 21.5 percent, on average, Lane said. He expects the five companies to beat current Wall Street estimates for 2009, especially as they benefit from favorable foreign exchange rates.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV