Targacept Unveils Depression Drug Data Next Week: BioBuzz
SummerStreet held a conference call for investor clients Tuesday with an expert in stem cell research on animals.
In a report summarizing that call, SummerStreet said, "these cysts are not an uncommon complication of the stem cells and can lead to severe damage of the spinal cord as well as extensive pain. The most likely reason for the cysts is an immunological rejection of the stem cells and this could occur in humans even if Geron can avoid this in new animal models. Experts we have contacted believe that Geron prematurely moved into clinical trials and their current therapy is unlikely to work. We reiterate that the market remains too optimistic about Geron’s stem cell therapy."
SummerStreet is the firm that in March warned of potential safety issues in with Geron's stem cell treatment for spinal cord injury.
Savient Raising Money
Wednesday night, Savient Pharmaceuticals (SVNT) announced a follow-on offering of four million shares with a 600,000-share over-allotment. No price for the offering was announced, but Savient shares closed Wednesday at $15.07.The FDA declined to approve Savient's gout drug Krystexxa in August. Since then, the company has been working to re-submit data to regulators in order to get the drug approved. -- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV