The New York City analyst meeting comes at a critical time for NetApp. The company's shares have risen more than 77% this year, buoyed by a slowly improving economy and the company's status as one of the best-positioned firms in the tech sector.
Earlier this week Broadpoint AmTech reiterated its NetApp Buy rating, citing a wealth of upside potential. "The company offers one of the highest growth profiles in the entire technology industry," wrote analyst Brian Marshall, in a note released Monday, adding that the firm has averaged a 28% growth rate since 2004. "This compares favorably to its closest peer, EMC (EMC), which experienced an average growth rate of 19% over the same period," he added.With a pro forma gross margin above 60%, NetApp is insulated against the falling cost of storage, and has side-stepped the worst of the recession. The company posted solid numbers in its recent first-quarter results. NetApp's revenue dipped 4% compared to the prior year's quarter, but comfortably beat analysts' estimates. With some uncertainty still hanging over IT budgets, however, NetApp is still subject to the vagaries of the broader economy, according to Goldman Sachs. Despite clinching a place on Goldman's 'Conviction Buy' list, the analyst firm sees spending as NetApp's biggest risk, potentially delaying or preventing a return to double-digit revenue growth and 16% operating margin.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV