U.S. Bancorp is not saying how much it paid for the business but says the deal will strengthen its existing corporate bond trustee business in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia.
"This investment is indicative of U.S. Bank's commitment to the [S]outheast market, as is the recent introduction of the U.S. Bank National Corporate Banking team and High Grade Fixed Income Group," said Dick Payne, vice chair of U.S. Bancorp's corporate banking division, in a press release. "Through our focus on customer service and the latest in financial technology, we continue to grow in this market, winning over individuals as well as companies both large and small."
The company's corporate trust division will have $2.4 trillion in assets under administration, 725,000 bondholders and more than 114,000 client issuances once the deal is complete, it said.U.S. Bancorp is probably most well known for its retail banking outfit primarily located in the Midwest. But the firm, with $266 billion in assets, is much more than a commercial bank. It also has a large payments services business, and provides wealth management services for individuals and corporations. The significant fee revenue that U.S. Bancorp earns from these businesses has helped it offset pain from the financial crisis. The company made significant headway in the expansion of its corporate trustee business in 2006. That year it bought the municipal and corporate bond trustee business of Southeast lender SunTrust Banks (STI) and the municipal trustee business of LaSalle Bank, which added a combined $153 billion of assets to its existing business. (The Midwestern bank, formerly a unit of ABN Amro, was eventually acquired by Bank of America (BAC).)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV