The networking specialist announced the move after the market closed Tuesday, explaining that many of its main partners and customers are already NYSE listed. Juniper rivals Alcatel-Lucent (ALU) and Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) also trade on the NYSE, and the switch maker has already clinched a major deal to supply its technology to the exchange.
Juniper expects to begin NYSE trading Oct. 29 under its current "JNPR" ticker symbol. Shares of the Sunnyvale, Calif.-based firm crept up 4 cents, or 0.15%, to $26.99 Wednesday, as the Nasdaq slipped 0.08%.
The networking firm's shift comes at a time when the two exchanges are going head to head for new client listings. Revenues from listings and data feeds account for up to 35% of the exchanges' overall revenues, according to Reuters, and an improving economy means intensified competition.With more than 8,000 listed companies, the NYSE dwarfs the Nasdaq's tally of just over 3,700, although the NASDAQ OMX Group says that demand is increasing. The exchange has 171 listings in the pipeline from sectors such as biotech, technology, and social media, according to a statement released Wednesday. The Nasdaq has won over a dozen IPOs this year, raising $4.2 billion, including recent high-profile offerings from Shanda Games (GAME), Changyou.com (CYOU) and A123 SYSTEMS (AONE). Insurance-risk specialist Verisk Analytics on Tuesday issued the biggest initial public offering by a U.S. company since Visa (V) March 2008 offering, raising $1.88 billion on the Nasdaq, higher than the $1.7 billion expected.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV