Sector Snap: Integrated Oil Sector Rises
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Shares of integrated oil companies rose in tandem with the price of crude, which climbed Tuesday afternoon as the weak dollar and broader market strength overshadowed worries about weak demand and the glut of crude supplies.
Light, sweet crude for November delivery rose 90 cents to $71.30 in morning trading.
Barclays Capital analyst Paul Cheng said he expects integrated oil and refining companies to meet or even slightly exceed Wall Street expectations for third-quarter earnings. Barclays closely follows 16 of these companies. Cheng expects this group to collectively report earnings that are 66 percent lower than prior-year levels, but 22 percent higher than second-quarter results.
Within that group, Cheng said he expects Hess Corp. to deliver the biggest positive earnings surprise, driven by better-than-expected production and the strong retail margin environment. Cheng estimated a third-quarter profit of 54 cents per share for Hess, compared with a consensus estimate of 44 cents per share.Shares of Hess rose $1.52, or 2.9 percent, to $55.20 in afternoon trading. Cheng listed Alon USA Energy Inc. as the biggest potential disappointment in the group, based on forecasts that all three of the company's refining operations have lost cash in the quarter and due to the generally weak Gulf Coast margin environment. Shares of Alon fell 42 cents, or 4.3 percent, to $9.58.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV