Yet despite the lack of beef, Verizon still managed to suggest that something new is afoot.
After years of crippling common features like WiFi and Bluetooth and restricting applications and media libraries to Verizon-only services, the old-line phone giant seems to have finally bowed to consumer democracy. For years, critics and consumer advocates scorned Verizon's closed-wall approach to devices. But in the end, all it took was a gun to the head -- in the form of AT&T's (T) Apple (AAPL) iPhone -- to get Verizon to consider loosening up. Around May of last year, as AT&T was preparing to release the next version of the Apple iPhone with a dramatically lower $200 price tag, Verizon wireless chief Lowell McAdam decided to visit Google. CEO Eric Schmidt said McAdam came to the company's Mountain View, Calif. headquarters looking to work on something "really differentiated." For the past year prior to that, Verizon had watched the iPhone grab the industry's attention with its dazzling Web browser and inviting App Store. McAdam's predecessor Dennis Strigl was originally approached by Apple to sell the iPhone but rejected the offer, not because of the revenue-sharing arrangements, as many thought, but because Apple wanted too much control over what was on the phone and who would support it.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV