S&P Cuts First Midwest Rating On Real Estate Loans
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Standard & Poor's Ratings Services on Monday lowered its counterparty credit rating on First Midwest Bancorp Inc., citing its high risk portfolio of commercial real estate loans.
S&P lowered its counterparty credit rating on First Midwest to "BBB-/A-3" from "BBB/A-2."
At the same time, S&P lowered its counterparty credit rating on subsidiary First Midwest Bank to "BBB/A-2" from "BBB+/A-2."
The outlook for the Itasca, Ill.-based bank is negative."The downgrade reflects our expectation that the bank's credit quality will remain under significant pressure throughout 2009 and 2010, which we believe will have a negative impact on the company's earning and capital," said S&P credit analyst Vikas Jhaveri in a statement announcing the cuts. "First Midwest will have to face the challenges inherent in its commercial real estate portfolio, which is concentrated in a limited geographic area." The bank's recent capital raise should help mitigate some of the pressures, Jhaveri said, but noted that about 46 percent of its loans are in commercial real estate.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV