Why A123 Systems Still Not Worth It
Clearly, numbers like this make it impossible to value A123 in a traditional way, and assumptions are necessary to make any kind of a forecast. To do this, I created a few very generous hypothetical scenarios and tried to answer my original question: "What revenue and margin forecasts are required to justify the current valuation of A123?" I assume a generous, full-year hypothetical 2009 and then compare it to a very generous hypothetical 2011, making assumptions for revenue growth and margin improvement. My analysis looks like this.
From the table above, it can be seen that in order to justify a P/E multiple of 100, it will have to do the following things:
- quadruple revenue.
- transform from negative gross margins to margins of 25%.
- maintain operating expenses at current levels with no increase.
- pay no income taxes due to tax-loss carry forwards.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV