Sector Snap: Offices Get Cut, Hotels Look Good
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Citigroup is recommending that investors buy up more recovery-oriented real estate investment trusts.
Those include residential and self-storage REITs, as well as lodging operators ¿ riskier stocks to hold in a recession precipitated by a housing crisis and drops in discretionary spending and business travel.
Analyst Michael Bilerman in a research note Friday upgraded two residential REITs. Despite weak employment and a slowly recovering housing sector, he said Equity Lifestyle Properties Inc., which operates common facilities such as clubhouses, swimming pools and golf courses in vacation areas, and UDR Inc., which develops apartment complexes, were appropriate for longterm investors as job losses slow and consumer spending stabilizes.
He upgraded Equity Lifestyle to "Buy" from "Hold" and UDR to "Hold" from "Sell."Bilerman downgraded apartment property operator Apartment Investment & Management Co. to "Sell" from "Hold," however, saying its stock price is more expensive than other apartment REITs. Equity Lifestyle rose $2.10, or 5.1 percent, to $43.70; UDR added 53 cents, or 3.6 percent, to $15.18; and Apartment Investment & Management gained 17 cents to $14.27.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV