Frontier Financial: Pump Up the Volume
SP Acquisition, a New York-based asset-acquisition company sponsored in part by Steel Partners, said in July it would buy Frontier Financial for about $24 million in stock and warrants. On Monday, Frontier Chairman and CEO Pat Fahey said both companies could not secure the required regulatory approvals in sufficient time to complete the transaction.
As TheStreet.com reported on Sept. 23, SP Acquisition warrants had plummeted in late September, an indication traders believed there is a low probability of a deal being completed. While the warrants had traded near 40 cents earlier in the month, they had dropped to 15 cents on Sept. 23. On Monday, those warrants were trading only at only a fraction of a penny.
(Scroll down to comment on this story)Fahey added that Frontier would continue to work to resolve loan problems and shore up its capital position. In a regulatory filing last month, SP Acquisition Holdings said Frontier expects that its Tier 1 leverage capital ratio will drop below 4% as of Sept. 30, which would mean the bank would be considered "undercapitalized" by federal regulatory guidelines. In March, Frontier said it signed a Cease and Desist Order with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. and Washington State Department of Financial Institutions. Under the agreement, Frontier agreed to achieve and maintain a Tier 1 capital level of 10% of its total assets. The bank's Tier 1 capital ratio at year end 2008 was 8.53%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV