TheStreet.com Ratings provides exclusive stock, ETF and mutual fund recommendations using proprietary tools. Our "safety first" approach aims to reduce risk while achieving total return performance.
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- The following companies have annual revenue above $500 million, below-average valuations, debt that is less than 49% of total capital and receive "buy" ratings from our proprietary quantitative model, which considers more than 60 factors. They're ordered by their potential to appreciate, starting with the company with the best growth prospects.
MGE Energy (MGEE) is a Wisconsin-based electric utility.
The numbers: Second-quarter net income dropped 6% to $10 million and earnings per share fell 10% to 43 cents, hurt by a higher share count. Revenue decreased 14% to $108 million. Its gross margin rose from 23% to 25% and its operating margin climbed from 15% to 16%. A quick ratio of 0.3 demonstrates weak liquidity. A debt-to-equity ratio of 0.7 is below the industry average, indicating restrained leverage.The stock: MGE has advanced 8% this year, matching the Dow Jones Industrial Average, but trailing the S&P 500 Index. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 15, a discount to the market and utility peers. Shares pay a 4.1% dividend yield. Casey's General Stores (CASY) operates convenience stores in the Midwest. The numbers: Fiscal first-quarter revenue fell 24% to $1.2 billion, but profit grew 54% to $44 million, or 87 cents a share. Its gross margin rose from 13% to 19% and its operating margin jumped from 3% to 6%. The company has less-than-ideal liquidity, evident in its quick ratio of 0.8. But a debt-to-equity ratio of 0.2 indicates modest leverage. The stock: Casey's is up 35% this year, beating major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 15, a discount to the market and food retail peers. Shares pay a 1.1% dividend yield.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV