WASHINGTON (TheStreet) -- State regulators closed banks in Michigan, Minnesota and Colorado Friday, bringing the total number of failed banks and thrifts this year to 98.
The Michigan Office of Financial and Insurance Regulation shuttered Warren Bank of Warren, Mich. and appointed the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation receiver. The FDIC then sold the failed institution's branches and deposits to Huntington National Bank, the main subsidiary of Huntington Bancshares (HBAN).
Minnesota regulators took over Jennings State Bank of Spring Grove. The FDIC was appointed receiver and sold the the failed bank's deposits and nearly all of its assets to Central Bank of Stillwater, Minn.
Later on Friday the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency shut down Southern Colorado National Bank of Pueblo and appointed the FDIC receiver. The FDIC sold the failed bank's deposits and almost all of its assets to Legacy Bank of Wiley, Colo.All three failed banks had been assigned E-minus (Very Weak) financial strength ratings by TheStreet.com Ratings. The three failed institutions were also included in TheStreet.com's list of undercapitalized banks and thrifts, based on second-quarter data. They were also among 89 institutions on a previous list published by TheStreet.com in late May. Out of that list, 45 banks and thrifts have failed.
Warren BankWarren Bank had been considered undercapitalized since the end of 2008, when it reported a tier 1 leverage ratio of 4.75% and a total risk-based capital ratio of 7.44%. These ratios need to be at least 4% and 8% for most banks to be considered well-capitialized under regulatory capital guidelines. They need to be 5% and 10% for most institutions to be considered well-capitalized.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV