This past week on RealMoney.com, Don Dion blogged about IPO ETFs, Claymore's additional China sector ETFs and Power Shares private equity ETF.
Reduce Risk With IPO ETFPosted 9/29/2009 3:45 p.m. EDT
With seven IPOs, last week marked one of Wall Street's busiest weeks for new entries in quite a while. Companies making appearances included Artio Global Investors (ART), Colony Financial (CLNY), Vitacost.com (VITC) and the highly-sought-after battery company A123 (AONE).
While picking which newcomer firm will be successful can, at times, be like playing roulette, ETF investors have an instrument that reduces this risk.
First Trust U.S. IPO Index (FPX) is designed to track the IPOX-100 U.S. Index. This index is made up of the top 100 U.S. IPOs ranked quarterly. Firms range from large, mature companies such as Philip Morris (PM) to fast-growing and undervalued IPOs.Firms are tracked on this index for their first 1,000 days of trading. The index is adjusted quarterly. Before jumping in, investors should be aware of the risks associated with this instrument. FPX suffers from extremely low volume. The fund's three-month average volume barely breaks 3,000. Additional risk comes with the fund's quarterly rebalancing. With new companies of various sizes and sectors issuing IPOs, the fund's makeup can vary drastically from one rebalancing to another. Year to-date for the period ending Sept. 25, the fund is up 31%.
Claymore Adds More China Sector ETFs10/1/2009 12:17 p.m. EDT Recently, I wrote an article on the introduction of the first Chinese sector ETFs by Global X. Through Global X China Consumer, Global X China Energy, Global X China Financials, Global X China Industrials, Global X China Technology and Global X China Materials, U.S. ETF investors will be able to gain exposure to smaller, more-focused slices of the booming Chinese economy for the first time.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV