EnteroMedics said the randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pivotal study of its Maestro System for the treatment of obesity did not meet primary and secondary efficacy endpoints.
"We are disappointed in the preliminary findings and plan to undertake a thorough analysis of the study data," Mark B. Knudson, Ph.D, president and CEO of EnteroMedics said in a statement. "The analysis will help us to determine the most appropriate path forward for the Maestro System in obesity and other possible indications."
The news dropped EnteroMedics shares on heavy volume. EnteroMedics was falling $3.30, or 73.7%, to $1.18, making it one of the Nasdaq's worst performers Thursday. Earlier in the session, the stock touched an intraday low of $1.03.More than 20.5 million shares changed hands by 11 a.m. EDT Friday, compared with to the stock's 50-day average daily volume of 114,556, according to the Nasdaq. EnteroMedics has a 13.4 million-share float with a short float of 2.4% as of Sept. 10, according to Yahoo! Finance. More than 40% of the company's shares are held by insiders with another 44% owned by institutions. Bullish investor posts on Internet message boards argued that the next trial of the Maestro System could bring a pop to shares. A handful of other traders said they sold out of their positions and moved onto other opportunities, arguing it would be foolish to hold shares now. -- Written by Robert Holmes in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV