Village Super Market 4Q Profit Falls On Charge
SPRINGFIELD, N.J. (AP) ¿ Village Super Market Inc., which runs Shop Rites in New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania, said Friday that its profit fell 3 in the fiscal fourth quarter due to a litigation charge.
Earnings dipped to $6.7 million, or 50 cents per share, compared with $6.9 million, or 52 cents per share, a year earlier.
The company said its quarterly results were hurt by a $708,000 litigation charge.
Sales for the period ended July 25 grew 4 percent to $310.9 million from $298 million on the opening of a store in Marmora, N.J. and a 4.3 percent rise in sales at stores open at least a year, which are known as same-store sales.Same-store sales are a key indicator of retailer performance since they measure growth at existing stores rather than newly opened ones. Like other supermarket operators, Village Super Market has benefited from shoppers eating at home more during the recession. Full-year profit increased 21 percent to $27.3 million, or $2.06 per share, from $22.5 million, or $1.71 per share, in the previous year. Annual sales rose 8 percent to $1.21 billion from $1.12 billion. Village Super Market runs 26 Shop Rites in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. The company's shares fell 9 cents to $29.06 in morning trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV