Long-term Treasurys Fall On Last Day Of Quarter
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Long-term Treasurys fell modestly Wednesday, pushing yields higher, after a weak economic snapshot of regional manufacturing.
The Chicago Purchasing Managers Index came in weaker than expected, which signaled the Midwestern manufacturing industry is hurting more than estimated. Investors worried that the drop meant the national Institute for Supply Management index due Thursday also would be weak.
In late trading, the price of the benchmark 10-year note fell 3/32 to 102 20/32, pushing its yield up to 3.31 percent from 3.29 percent late Tuesday. The yield on the 10-year note is closely tied to rates on consumer loans such as mortgages.
It was the second straight day of declines for the 10-year note after a stretch of five consecutive gains.The moves came as stocks zigzagged on the final day of the third quarter. The Dow Jones industrial average lost 30 points after being down more than 100 during the day. The early drop in stocks was met with fresh buyers, and traders again moved money back into stocks and out of bonds. Investors have frequently met dips in the stock market with renewed buying in recent months as the stock market has soared from multiyear lows hit in March.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV