NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I'm making changes to the so-called S&P 500-Slayer Portfolio, which has easily beaten the benchmark U.S. index since I started it Feb. 10.
The portfolio has risen 45%, compared with 28% for the S&P 500.
I recommended in my April 16 article to take "stock" of your equities on a continuous basis and forget the old-fashioned "buy and hold" strategy. So, in August, I advised investors to sell half of the positions and hold the rest. Now it's time to make some further recalibrations.For the remaining six stocks in my portfolio, here's what I would do: Pulte Homes (PHM): Although it's one of the weakest in my portfolio, I still like it and, with housing stabilizing, I see a move higher. Set sell limit at $13. BRE Properties (BRE): Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered. Sell at $31.85 and high-five your account statement. General Electric (GE): I recommended it at $11.62 in February, recommended a hold at $13.75, and it's around $16.80 now. Even though it's up big and the temptation is there for profit-taking, this one still has more left, and I would put a sell limit at $19.50. Huaneng Power (HNP): One of only two dogs in my portfolio, which tempts me to drop back and punt. But I love China energy stocks and, for now, I say grin and bear it. China Integrated Energy (CBEH): I own it, I love it, and they just brought in a China heavyweight in Oppenheimer to complete a public secondary offering. I said if you could buy it under $7, do it. It's traded as high as $7.97, and volume is picking up nicely. If this stock isn't double digits by year-end, I will be shocked. (Disclosure: I own this stock.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV