TerreStar: Pump Up the Volume
RESTON, Va. (TheStreet) -- TerreStar (TSTR) was trading sharply higher on a surge in volume after the company announced a deal with AT&T (T) to bring to market a fully integrated satellite cellular smartphone.
TerreStar announced Wednesday that it will combine AT&T's wireless connectivity with the ability to use a satellite network as back up throughout the U.S. Users will be able to use TerreStar's Genus phone to access voice and data services in the U.S., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands and offshore coastal waters using AT&T's 3G network or its own satellite network.
News of the deal had TerreStar shares rallying sharply higher on big volume. TerreStar was lately rising 45 cents, or 21.1%, to $2.58. Earlier, the stock touched an intraday high of $2.95. More than 6.8 million shares changed hands in the first hour of trading Wednesday, compared to the stock's 50-day average daily volume of 1.2 million, according to the Nasdaq's Web site.
TerreStar has a 103.2 million-share float with a small short interest float of only 0.8% as of Sept. 10, according to Yahoo! Finance. More than 23% of the company's shares are held by insiders.Investor posts on Internet message boards were split on whether to sell the news on Wednesday. While some argued TerreStar should hit $5 a share, others were nervous the news would fade over the next few days, along with the company's share price. Some savvy investors also noted that the market has known about the TerreStar/AT&T agreement for some time, and that Wednesday's press release only added that the satellite was fully operational.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV