The U.S. newspaper industry is already using new technology to boost flagging readership and, potentially, reduce production costs. The New York Times and the Washington Post (WPO), for example, have already launched trials offering their content on Amazon's (AMZN) Kindle device.
Tablets could also help solve one of the biggest challenges newspapers have faced in recent years - how to cope with the exodus of readers and advertisers to the Internet. As this stage, though, it is unclear how companies like the New York Times could monetize their business via Tablets, compared to, say, readers accessing newspaper Web sites on their laptops.
The Times' Tablet plans come at a critical juncture for the newspaper industry, which is now seeing some glimmers of hope after a torrid few years. Earlier this week, for example, newspaper stocks rose after Gannett (GCI), the biggest newspaper publisher in the U.S., forecast third-quarter earnings well above Wall Street's low expectations.Gannett's stock continued its upward trajectory Wednesday, rising 98 cents, or 8.3%, to reach $12.73. Shares of the New York Times, however, fell 18 cents, or 2.15%, to $8.21 during the same period. --Written by James Rogers in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV