The unit would be led by current PC chief Todd Bradley, the Wall Street Journal reports, citing people familiar with the situation.
The details and date of the reorganization aren't firm yet, and the move is contingent on CEO Mark Hurd making a final decision, these people said.
The plan highlights the shift H-P has taken since Hurd became CEO four years ago, the Journal notes.At the time, printers and ink accounted for more than 70% of H-P profits, while PCs were less than 5%. But growth at the company's printer business has slowed, while the PC division has become the world's biggest computer maker, surpassing rival Dell (DELL), the Journal notes. It's unclear what would happen to Vyomesh "V.J." Joshi, the current head of the printer division. One possibility is that Joshi would leave the company in coming months, perhaps to fill a CEO role at another tech company, the newspaper says, citing the people familiar with the matter. -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York . Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV