Tianwei To Finance Hoku Scientific's Idaho Plant
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Shares of Hoku Scientific Inc. surged 43 percent in aftermarket trading after the clean energy company said it will grant Tianwei New Energy Holdings Co. a majority stake in exchange for financing the construction of Hoku's polysilicon production facility in Pocatello, Idaho.
In July, Hoku had slowed construction at the solar materials plant to preserve cash while it sought to raise capital, and the builder, JH Kelly, had filed a lien against it for $12 million in past due payments. Last week, JH Kelly agreed to resume construction if Hoku paid $5 million and to not foreclose on the property if the rest is paid by Jan. 14.
China's Tianwei makes silicon wafers and photovoltaic cells and systems. As part of the new deal, Hoku will issue about 33.4 million new shares, which represent 60 percent of its outstanding stock, and grant Tianwei warrants to buy an additional 10 million shares at $2.52 per share.
At Tuesday's closing price, the 33.4 million shares would be worth $71.5 million. The company currently has about 21.2 million shares outstanding.Hoku's shares jumped 93 cents, or 43.5 percent, to $3.07 in after-hours trading. The stock had closed earlier down 4 cents at $2.14.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV