Newspaper Stocks Surge As Their Own News Improves
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) ¿ Newspapers may have finally stopped ¿ or at least slowed ¿ their harrowing descent into a financial abyss after three years of plunging revenues, crumbling stock prices and shrinking staffs.
The latest glimmer of hope came Tuesday when Gannett Co., the largest U.S. newspaper publisher, announced that its third-quarter earnings will be substantially above analysts' forecasts.
Although Gannett's revenue for the period, which ended Sunday, fell slightly below analysts' projections, executives said newspaper advertising sales didn't fall as badly as they did in the first and second quarters.That's not saying much. Gannett's ad revenue from USA Today and its other print publications dived 33 percent during the first half of the year. And newspapers have yet to come up with a cure for the perilous problem they faced before the recession even struck ¿ what to do about the massive shift of readers and advertisers to the Internet. But Gannett's modest progress suggests newspapers might at least be able to recover some of the revenue lost since 2006. Analysts suspect a rebound could begin soon and accelerate next year, particularly if advertising for homes, cars and jobs picks up.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV