Updated from Tuesday, Sept. 29
Shares spiked 8% to $64.80 in Wednesday afternoon trading, as it exceeded Wall Street's profit and futures expectations.
In the first quarter, the company earned $513 million, or $1.04 a share, compared with $510.5 million, or $1.03 a share, in the year-ago period. Analysts expected Nike to earn 97 cents a share. Revenue, however, sank 11.6% to $4.8 billion from $5.43 billion a year earlier. The biggest sales declines were seen in Europe, with Western Europe down 18% and Central and Eastern Europe off 33%. North American revenue slipped 5% to $1.8 billion. Worldwide futures orders, a key indicator for the company, dropped 6% to $6.2 billion, but excluding currency charges, the figure was down by 4%. Analysts were calling for a drop of 5%, excluding exchange rates. In fact, solid futures orders led Sterne Agee to upgrade the company to neutral from sell. Inventories, meanwhile, fell 7% compared with last year's period. While Nike forecasts a decline in revenues for the full fiscal year, it expects sales to improve in the second half. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV