China Precision Steel 4Q Profit Plunges 61 Percent
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) ¿ China Precision Steel Inc. said Tuesday its fourth-quarter profit plunged 61 percent as margins were squeezed by rising raw material prices, but said the steel industry is showing signs of improvement.
Net income for the quarter ended June 30 was $2.2 million, or 5 cents per share, down from $5.6 million, or 12 cents per share, a year earlier.
Revenue decreased 10 percent to $25.7 million from $28.6 million in the year-ago quarter.
The company said margins declined due to the higher cost of raw materials related to an inventory build-up in the first half of 2008 with high demand and steel prices. Then selling prices declined sharply amid the industry downturn, resulting in tighter margins, the company said. Its gross margin fell to 9 percent, from 19.2 percent, in the year-ago period.Revenue for the quarter benefited from a $3.2 million subcontracting order that represented 14.8 percent of sales. For the full year, the Shanghai-based company posted a loss of $408,338, or 1 cent per share, compared with a profit of $18.6 million, or 43 cents per share, in the same quarter in 2008.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV