Kemper is especially focused on increasing the range of services that UMB offers -- with the addition of health-care card processing, a small insurance agency, and the expansion of its fund-management business, into back-office services for hedge funds. Kemper also sees big breaks ahead for UMB's trust services business, which can provide escrow, custody and underwriting services to public infrastructure projects over the coming years.
"We believe in the coming years we're going to have a government-led economy, and we think that the corporate trust business is going to give us a leg up," says Kemper.
Despite all the expansion, Kemper is staying close to home - a value passed down from his grandfather, R. Crosby Kemper, who often told Kemper's father, R. Crosby Jr., to "row close to shore." In other words, never lose sight of the sand when wading out into a sea of risk.
"The Street, the investor population, believed that we ... could leverage
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV