KANSAS CITY ( TheStreet) -- J. Mariner Kemper is something of an enigma to the banking world, but his careful approach may exemplify what it takes to maintain profits over the long haul.
The 36-year-old chairman and CEO of UMB Financial (UMBF) seemed like a stick in the mud to the rest of the industry during subprime's halcyon days because of his risk-averse nature and focus on slow and steady growth.
This conservative business strategy, however, belies Mariner's creative flare and drive for success. When asked why he doesn't use his first name, he answers simply: "Because John's boring."
Mariner is the sixth in a line of Kempers involved in the top ranks of the company, starting with his great-great grandfather, William Thornton Kemper, who acquired a controlling stake in UMB's predecessor in 1913. William Thornton made the Kemper name a dominant force in the Midwest, having been a big investor in Commerce Bancshares (CBSH) 10 years prior, and David Kemper, Mariner's cousin, is president and CEO of that Kansas City competitor today. See timeline:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV