WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. ( TheStreet) -- In wake of recent criticism, the paring back of overdraft fees appears to be the initiative du jour for banks, as BB&T (BBT) joined a host of others in revamping its policies.
According to a statement released today, BB&T explained that it will no longer charge more than four overdraft fees on a given day and will eliminate overdraft charges for debit and ATM transactions when customers overdraw by less than $5. Changes will take effect in the first quarter of 2010.
Additionally, BB&T will alert ATM customers when a withdrawal will tip an account into overdraw territory.
In midday trading, BB&T shares were adding 56 cents, or 2.1%, at $27.73.Last week, Wells Fargo (WFC) announced
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV