That was the message underlying Friday's news that Twitter has lined up $100 million to finance its operations while founders Evan Williams and Biz Stone plot ways to make money off one of the Internet's most popular communications tools.
The investment values the 3-year-old company at $1 billion, even though it has yet to generate any meaningful revenue, let alone profits.
___ By The Associated Press
The Dow Jones industrial average fell 42.25, or 0.4 percent, to 9,665.19. The broader Standard & Poor's 500 index fell 6.40, or 0.6 percent, to 1,044.38, and the Nasdaq fell 16.69, or 0.8 percent, to 2,090.92.Benchmark crude for November delivery added 13 cents to settle at $66.02 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. In London, Brent crude rose 29 cents to settle at $65.11 on the ICE Futures exchange. In other Nymex trading, gasoline for October delivery lost nearly 2 cents to settle at $1.6205 a gallon, and heating oil for October delivery lost less than a penny to settle at $1.6771 gallon. Natural gas added 3 cents to settle at $3.985 per 1,000 cubic feet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV