Hottest Small Dry-Bulker: OceanFreight
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- This week we asked or readers to register their opinions on the smaller players in the dry-bulk world: those shippers with tiny market caps (each of the four stocks on our list save one trades for under $2 a share) and tiny fleets, but who may nonetheless show signs of growing into the next DryShips.
As it turns out, the vote was a tight race. None of the contenders won a majority, but two stood out from the rest.
Taking the trophy, with 33.7% of the vote, was [drum roll] OceanFreight (OCNF), of Athens, which owns one capesize and eight panamax dry-bulk vessels, as well as four tanker ships. The company has trailing 12-month revenue of $134.7 million, with about $105 million in cash and $289 million in debt, as of the end of the most-recent quarter.
The choice was relevant. OceanFreight executives have evidently been conducting some schmoozing of late. The company's operating chief, Demetrius Nemes, will ring the opening bell on the Nasdaq Exchange on Monday. Doubtless he'll have a few sit-downs with investors and analysts while in the city, giving his OceanFreight spiel. Prescient readers of TheStreet appear to be familiar with it already.In a close second-place, Paragon Shipping (PRGN) took 30.5% of your clicks. Based in Voula, Greece, the company doesn't own any of the huge capesize vessels, but does run a dozen ships in a variety of smaller classes, generating about $163 million in revenue over the last 12 months. The remaining three of our candidates ran close together, with FreeSeas (FREE) garnering 14.7%, Top Ships (TOPS) 11.5%, and Euroseas (ESEA), bringing up the rear, with 9.6%. -- Written by Scott Eden in New York Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV