EMC Insurance Shares Fall
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) ¿ Shares of EMC Insurance Group Inc. fell Friday, after climbing nearly 16 percent in three days, after the company said incorrect information had been distributed about its stock holdings.
The company filed a statement with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Thursday saying inaccurate information was distributed about the insurance group's holdings of class B shares of Verisk Analytics Inc., which has announced an initial public offering.
EMC said incorrect information was distributed that it owned more than 4.8 million post-split preoffering shares of Verisk, when that was the amount held by all the companies under the EMC Insurance Co. corporate umbrella. The insurance company holds just over 1 million shares, the filing said.
The EMC Insurance Group's rating was downgraded Friday to "Underperform" from "Market Perform" by Keefe, Bruyette & Woods analyst Robert Farnam. He cited the stock's valuation as the reason."The stock has appreciated almost 16 percent over the last three trading sessions, which we believe may be attributed to misperceptions regarding the company's common stock investments," he wrote. EMC Insurance Group shares fell $3.48, or 14.4 percent, to $20.69. Shares have traded between $16.36 and $31 in the past year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV