TheStreet.com Ratings provides exclusive stock, ETF and mutual fund ratings and commentary based on award-winning, proprietary tools. Its "safety first" approach to investing aims to reduce risk while seeking total return performance.
The numbers: Fiscal third-quarter revenue declined 2% to $482 million, but profit doubled to $31 million, or 44 cents a share. Its gross margin rose from 33% to 36% and its operating margin climbed from 7% to 11%. Over $25 million of cash and a quick ratio of 1.2 demonstrate adequate liquidity. A debt-to-equity ratio of 0.7 indicates reasonable leverage.
The stock: Central Garden & Pet is up 83% this year, outpacing major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 17, indicating a discount to the market, but parity with household products peers. The company doesn't pay dividends.The model upgraded FMC Technologies (FTI), a provider of oil and gas technology services, to "buy." The numbers: Second-quarter net income remained steady at $106 million, but earnings per share climbed 12% to 84 cents, boosted by a lower share count. Revenue fell 6% to $1.1 billion. Its gross margin rose from 22% to 24% and its operating margin increased from 12% to 13%. A quick ratio of 0.7 indicates less-than-ideal liquidity. A debt-to-equity ratio of 0.4 is below the industry average, indicating restrained leverage. The stock: FMC Technologies has surged 117% this year, beating major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 18, a discount to the market, but a premium to oil and gas equipment peers. The company doesn't pay dividends. The model downgraded trucker Heartland Express (HTLD) to "hold."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV