A lot of investors are bailing on Portfolio Recovery, perhaps fearing the recession and the payoff from cheap purchases will be extended. Its stock lost 10% of its market value in last week's sell-off. A beta of 1.4 demonstrates volatility.
But on the basis of valuation, Portfolio remains attractive. The shares trade at a price-to-earnings ratio of 15, and a forward price-to-earnings ratio of 13, a discount to the market and specialty finance peers. This is a niche company with complex risks, but it's deserving of further attention.
One intriguing, counterintuitive thesis is that companies are charging off more than necessary in order to purge weak debtors. It doesn't make sense, from a business perspective, to charge-off customers who are profitable.
On the other hand, the Congressional backlash against credit-card companies and ongoing threats of fee reductions are providing incentives to companies to seek reliable customers and reduce exposure to previously lucrative deadbeats. Front-loading losses will make future performance look better.There's also a possibility that sly consumers are riding the waves of bankruptcy and default. An influx of paperwork might be creating cracks in the system and many so-called uncollectibles could turn out to be collectible, but crafty. -- Reported by Jake Lynch in Boston.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV