The success of the RICI has not gone unnoticed in the ETF and ETN realm. In 2007, Rogers lent his name to a company called Elements who put together four ETNs to track slices of the commodity sector. The ETNs are Elements Linked to Rogers International Commodity Index Total Return (RJI), Elements Linked to Rogers International Commodity Index Agriculture Total Return (RJA), Elements Linked to Rogers International Commodity Index Energy Total Return (RJN) and Elements Linked to Rogers International Commodity Index Metals Total Return (RJZ).
This summer Van Eck released the Market Vectors-RVE Hard Assets Producers ETF (HAP). HAP's index, The Rogers-Van Eck Hard Assets Producers Index, was designed in concert with the investor and is structured to act as a one-stop shopping center for the global hard- asset industry.
Today, Rogers would have no problem finding a commodities index fund to invest in. In fact, with instruments such as United States Natural Gas (UNG), United States Oil Fund (USO), Dow Jones-AIG Livestock Total Return ETN (COW), PowerShares DB Agriculture Fund (DBA) and many others, holding commodities has quickly become as commonplace to portfolio development as stocks, bonds and cash.
Although a number of the funds continue face substantial public scrutiny, it has become apparent that, thanks in part to Rogers and RICI, commodity investing is here to stay.-- Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV