NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Jim Rogers, the "Indiana Jones of Finance," is known throughout Wall Street for his independent, contrarian investing style and his association with George Soros and the Quantum Fund.
Though he has since retired, he continues to be a presence with his world travels and bold economic commentary. His work with commodities, in particular, has helped to influence the way the average investor looks at personal finance today.
Rogers was born in 1942. As a child in Alabama, Rogers wasted no time getting into the business world. At the age of five, he was already making money collecting bottles and selling peanuts to fans at baseball games.
Rogers received a bachelor's degree from Yale and Oxford. Upon graduation, he served in the U.S. military for a few years before he headed to Wall Street to work for Arnhold & S. Bliechroder, where he was a research analyst for a hedge fund managed by George Soros.In 1970 the two men joined to establish what would become the Quantum Fund. With Soros as the trader and Rogers as the analyst, the fund grew from $12 million to more than $250 million. Soros attributed a considerable amount of Quantum's success to Rogers' hard work. In his book, Soros on Soros, the investor said Rogers handled the work of six men. Unfortunately, as the fund grew, so did the stress of managing it. While Soros saw a desperate need to add analysts, Rogers found it difficult to work with outsiders. In 1979, at the age of 37, Rogers decided that he had earned enough and "retired" from the industry.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV