If that upturn does not materialize, the boutiques are vulnerable to a pullback. Greenhill trades at 35.5 times JMP's estimate of what it will earn over the next 12 months, Evercore at 27.7 times and Lazard at 20.8 times. These multiples are significantly higher than their historical averages, Hecht notes. Though he believes all three are strong companies, he favors Lazard because of its relatively lower multiple.
Rochdale Securities analyst Richard Bove recently initiated coverage on Lazard with a "Buy" rating. Bove writes that both restructuring and M&A "require that funds flow freely in the capital markets and that confidence is high in the economy. This has not been the case for the past 12 months but it may be the case in the next 12 months."
The most serious problem I could imagine for boutiques would be if boardrooms woke up to the fact, persuasively argued by David Weidner of The Wall Street Journal, that making acquisitions is usually a bad idea.
But seriously -- boardrooms waking up? Hard to see that happening any time soon.-- Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV