The premiere of DNO comes at a difficult time for leveraged and commodity ETFs, as regulatory uncertainty puts pressure on many popular funds.
DNO, an inverse-exchange-traded product, is designed to track the changes in percentage terms of the spot price of light, sweet crude oil delivered to Cushing, Okla., as measured by the price changes of a designated benchmark futures contract on light, sweet crude oil traded on the New York Mercantile Exchange.
Both regulators and the financial community have threatened the status of derivative-based and leveraged funds in recent months. The Commodities Futures Trading Commission recently held two meetings to measure the effect that passive indexing strategies, like USO and DNO, have on the price of commodities they are designed to track.In the past, regulators have used a light touch when limiting the trading of futures on the New York Mercantile Exchange. The 2008 oil bubble, global financial crisis and goals of the Obama administration could cause a change in the status quo, however, as "speculators" are targeted with increased position limits. The CFTC is expected to announce increased regulation this fall in a move that will dramatically affect funds like DNO. While the new restrictions have yet to be imposed, they are already taking a toll on popular exchange-traded products. The release of DNO comes in the wake of the closing of Deutsche Bank's (DB) popular PowerShares DB Crude Oil Double Long ETN (DXO). In anticipation of the new restrictions, DXO's managers shuttered the fund , knowing that the fund's size would make it particularly vulnerable to position limits.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV