NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Shares of Accenture (ACN) are 30% higher than its April lows of $26.67, and at least one investor is calling for even more upside in the management services company throughout the next few weeks.
Looking at the out-of-the-money Oct. 40 calls, more than 12,700 of these options traded so far today versus open interest of 3,000 contracts, indicating that the investor traded these calls to open.
During the first hour of trading, an investor bought 8,000 of these options for about 20 cents. That means if the investor decides to hold these options until expiration, the call purchase would make money if ACN shares expire higher than $40.20.
The Oct. 40 calls are currently trading up 12 cents, and have a delta of 15. That means for every dollar move in the underlying stock, the calls should move by 15 cents. ACN shares are now trading down 41 cents, and the calls should have dropped roughly six cents. When calls are up and stocks down, it suggests the presence of call buyers, as implied volatility has climbed to 42.1.ACN did not announce significant news today, but rumors continue to circulate around ACN's potential interest in acquiring Huron Consulting (HURN). It's interesting that we're seeing heavy-call buying activity without a major catalyst. This could also be a stock-replacement strategy, where the investor is selling shares but buying the calls in case there is further upside. The call purchase could have less downside than owning the stock outright. (The maximum loss for a long call is the premium paid, plus commissions.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV