NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- These ETFs have layers of risk heaped onto already complex strategies. Internal and external forces have made them riskier than they outwardly appear, so it is especially important for investors to understand the multiple reasons why these funds are the most dangerous for buy-and-hold investors.
These funds -- United States Natural Gas (UNG), PowerShares DB Crude Oil Double Short ETN (DTO) and the tandem of Direxion Daily Financial Bull 3X Shares (FAS) and Direxion Daily Financial Bear 3X Shares (FAZ) -- can wreck your portfolio.
Most Dangerous ETFs
- The strategy: In theory, UNG and United States Oil are "purer" plays on oil and natural gas prices than other ETFs like iShares Dow Jones US Oil & Gas Exploration (IEO) and Energy SPDR (XLE) that track equities. While UNG is designed to reflect natural gas prices, it tracks the near-month futures contracts for natural gas, not the spot price. This methodology inherently causes the fund to deviate from its objective, a problem that USO has also encountered.
- Creation confusion: The price of an ETF should reflect the underlying value, or NAV, of the fund. Unlike closed end funds or mutual funds, ETFs achieve their tracking objectives by the creation and redemption of shares. Regulatory limits caused UNG's creation process to grind to a halt back in July. As fund managers waited for the SEC to approve more shares, UNG began trading at a massive premium to its underlying value.
- UNG's future: After a summer of premiums, the SEC has approved additional UNG shares, and the fund managers will begin issuing new shares on Sept. 28. As UNG is once again allowed to operate as designed, the creation of new shares should cause the fund to once again trade in line with its underlying value. This shift should eliminate the premium and pop the UNG bubble.
- The strategy: DTO tracks a basket of futures contracts and employs leverage to achieve its strategy. Futures are inherently volatile and leverage adds volatility, so DTO can be one wild ride. Since DTO is structured as an ETN, rather than an ETF, it is also exposed to the credit risk of its issuer. In an era where once-solid banks have crumbled, credit risk is more of a concern than ever before.
- Bad genetics: When DTO was originally released, it was paired with the PowerShares DB Crude Oil Double Long ETN (DXO). On Sept. 9, DXO was shut down by its managers because the fund's size had triggered regulatory limitations. While DTO has yet to achieve the popularity of its former pair, investors in this fund should be wary of a potential shut-down.
- Regulatory smackdown: As regulators home in on ETFs like UNG and DTO that use derivative contracts to achieve their objectives, DTO could face double the regulatory restrictions in the months to come. Increased position limits, or restrictions on the number of futures contracts a fund can own, would affect both UNG and DTO and impact their creation process.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV