Under the agreement with Novartis, Opexa received an upfront cash payment of $3 million and was entitled to an additional $1 million as a technology transfer fee to be paid over the course of a six month period. The $500,000 milestone is part of that $1 million technology transfer fee, Opexa said.
Opexa shares, which have been all over the map this month, were lately up 62 cents, or 17.9%, to $4.08. As of 1:10 p.m. EDT, more than 7 million changed hands, which is nearly twice the stock's 50-day average daily volume, according to the Nasdaq's Web site. Opexa has a 9.46 million-share float, according to Yahoo! Finance.
As my colleague Adam Feuerstein pointed out earlier this month, Opexa has seen volume surge and price volatility on assorted news items.
The stock soared 270% on Sept. 9 to close at $5.66 after the company said "additional favorable data" from a previously completed phase II study of Tovaxin, a personalized immunotherapy, or "vaccine" for patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis, Feuerstein wrote. During that Sept. 9 session, the stock touched an intraday high of $6.93, a staggering gain of 353%.-- Written by Robert Holmes in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV