( Updated with YRC volume and price move.)
YRC Worldwide Surges as Bankruptcy Fears Subside
YRC Worldwide was lately up 89 cents, or 20.4%, to $5.24, making it one of the biggest price gainers on the Nasdaq on Wednesday. Volume topped 16.7 million shares at 1 p.m. EDT, more than double the 50-day average daily volume of 8.3 million, according to the Nasdaq's Web site.
If Wednesday's gains hold, YRC shares will have finished higher 13 out of 16 trading sessions in September, reflecting optimism the company will not be forced to file for bankruptcy protection. Earlier this month, YRC Worldwide amended a $950 million credit agreement with lenders as part of its efforts to stave off bankruptcy.Short interest is very high on YRC Worldwide, as it appears traders had banked on the company filing for bankruptcy protection. YRC sported a short interest float of 29.3% as of Aug. 26, according to Yahoo! Finance. YRC has a 58 million-share float. Investor posts on Internet message boards for YRC Worldwide noted the upside momentum, as the stock has surged more than 150% over the last month. Some other traders argued the company should begin considering a secondary offering of common stock.
Opexa Jumps on Milestone PaymentOpexa Therapeutics (OPXA) shares were surging Wednesday on above-average volume after the company announced it had triggered a milestone payment. The micro-cap drug stock jumped nearly 20% after announcing it has achieved its first technology transfer milestone in connection with its recently announced stem cell agreement with Novartis (NVS). The milestone achievement triggers a payment of $500,000 to Opexa, the company said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV