Stocks End Lower Despite Better View From Fed
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Investors were encouraged by the Fed's latest improved assessment of the economy, but not enough to propel the Dow Jones industrial average past 10,000.
Stocks closed lower Wednesday as a brief rally followed the Fed's economic statement and then faded. The Dow came within 82 points of crossing 10,000 for the first time since October, but ended the day with a loss of 81.
Stocks often trade erratically on days when the Fed meets to discuss interest rates, as investors pore over the statement accompanying the Fed's interest rate decision for clues about the economy and what the central bank's next steps might be.Analysts said there were no surprises from the Fed meeting, though some investors worried that the Fed would pull its supports for the economy too soon. "I think there is a real concern out there that this is just a head-fake and the stimulus out there is temporary," said Thomas Wilson, managing director of the institutional investments and private client group at Brinker Capital in Berwyn, Pa. He pointed to the Fed's slowing of its purchases of mortgage-backed securities. But he also said "the market got exactly what it was expecting."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV