"International demand is still fairly soft, but we have a strategic commitment to China and we want to make sure we (fulfill) it," Vahidi said.
United (UAUA) has not set a date to inaugurate the San Francisco-Guangzhou, China, flight it delayed. However, United will restart service from Washington's Dulles airport to Beijing in March, after suspending the service due to seasonality.
In its winter schedule, Delta (DAL) will add a fifth weekly Detroit/Shanghai flight, while replacing 747s with 777s on the route. This year, Delta has added New York/Tokyo, Tokyo/Ho Chi Minh City and seasonal Salt Lake City/Tokyo service. Delta has not said when it will restart Atlanta/Shanghai service, suspended in the fall, or begin Seattle/Beijing service, which it has deferred. Meanwhile, Continental (CAL) began Newark/Shanghai service in March.
As of September, Delta was the leading U.S. carrier to Asia, with 298 weekly flights and 87,252 seats. United was second, with 224 weekly flights and 68,482 seats. Continental had 268 flights and 56,912 flights, while American had 92 flight and 27,724 seats, according to the Official Airline Guide.-- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. .
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV