DETROIT ( TheStreet) -- Not surprisingly, September auto sales will show a dip, but it could be less dramatic than anticipated.
A forecast by Santa Monica, Calif.-based TrueCar, which aggregates vehicle sales information, suggests that September sales will decline 7% from September 2008 and 29% from August 2009, when Cash-for-Clunkers energized auto sales. A total of 899,374 units would bring domestic auto sales to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 11.1 million units.
"As expected, new-vehicle sales are down dramatically from August, but the declines will not be as bad as it looked at the beginning of the month," said Jesse Toprak, TrueCar vice president of industry trends, in a prepared statement. "Fundamental macroeconomic forces that fuel car sales have shown relative improvement within the last several weeks, although we are still a long way from a full recovery." He said domestic manufacturers' market share will be a record low 40.2%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV